View Single Post
Old 2009-05-26, 17:44   Link #8
Jiggy

I'm not sure whether it was more because of the handy visuals (like a diagram of how the Absorption/Radiation Gate work, or shots of the fonon belt around the planet) or simply the fact that I played the game beforehand for a little familiarity with all the esoteric terminology, but one way or another I'm happy that I finally actually kind of sort of somewhat slightly understand what happened in the Tales of the Abyss plot. Almost. Now there are only maybe 19 things I don't get instead of 26.

Plot's still a mess, though.
Spoiler:
I won't harp on too long because that's not the anime's fault, but basically in Abyss I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm just supposed to watch things without any critical thinking.

What is the anime's fault:

1) The characters. They had twenty-six episodes, but I still don't think they managed to portray the full personalities of each character and the dynamics between them. Guy was handled very well, and I don't blame them much for Tear since I couldn't find any depth or ambiguity to her even in the game; the only thing I was looking for but didn't get with Anime Tear was her getting angry at others and showing more pride as a soldier, which is a loss but not a big one. Other than those two, though:

Spoiler for Luke, Jade, Anise, Natalia:

2) The music. I'm not sure why they didn't just pull a bunch of themes directly from the game or make arranged versions, because Motoi Sakuraba's soundtrack was superb and certainly much, much better than the very typical anime music.

3) The fights. First, I guess I should commend them a little because I've never seen action RPG battles translate to an anime as well as the ones in very late Abyss episodes (from 19 on). The group fights were cool and everyone played a part, although for some reason Natalia didn't get to use a named move until the end and I don't think Luke ever did.

That's not to say they're good, just that they're better than other RPG adaptations I've seen. Everybody else pointed out the major problem already, but usually it only took one hit to finish off an enemy. Lots of blocking and dodging and magic shields before a hit connects, which is nice, but here's the thing... the Abyss heroes are fighting warriors called The Six God-Generals. With titles like that, they should be able to take some hits. I guess what I wanted to see was the enemies being gradually worn down: some cuts here and there, arrow nicks, magic hits that just scrape someone, and things like that. Instead it's either miss-or-instant-kill and that's not very engaging because it gives off the impression that in each individual fight only one or two of the six characters weren't throwaway extras.

Maybe it's just me, but after watching Symphonia and Abyss I really think these Tales anime series need to stop trying to play the stories and characters so straight and serious. The game skits may be completely out of place and probably aren't even canon, but they're a good method to bring out the characters' individual quirks and demonstrate what their personalities are like when they're not involved in constant life-or-death situations.

In a game I'll automatically want the heroes to succeed unless I hate them, simply because I'm the one playing them. But in any non-interactive story, having those little hints that the heroes would probably be having very enjoyable lives if not for whatever's threatening them is what makes it possible for me to care. If the story tells me Tear is going to die, it's vital that I see flashes of character so I can think that if she's gone the world should miss her personality--but in the anime she doesn't have one, so what's the big deal?

She needs to get angry. She needs Anise to poke fun at her feelings toward Luke. She needs to watch with mixed horror and disgust and finally shout down the rest of the cast when they make up conspiracy theories that the only reason Jade can be calm and collected inside a volcano is that he's hiding cooling devices inside his uniform, and start trying to take off his clothes to find out.

These are just examples and I really mean they apply across the board for all characters in the Abyss adaptation (and Symphonia for that matter), but basically they would convey a sense of liveliness that's actually very missed.

Anyway, I liked this way, way, way more than the Symphonia adaptation, but that's not saying very much. 5/10... though just barely. I'm a harsh judge at times, I guess. :P