View Single Post
Old 2012-07-11, 21:46   Link #6014
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Have some questions here.

I'm currently doing some postgraduation research right now,and things went fine, except my team leader now demanded everyone to turn up at 8:30 in the morning everyday even if we don't need to. And you all know, just like the good netizens we are, I am much more effective working from 8pm to 4am than any other time.

So have anyone here ever in the similar situation? Should i just follow and create a morning habit. Should I go and tell that to my strict team leader to be more flexible. Or take the middle way and ensure that maybe Monday, Wednesday, Friday i will turn up on time,but don't expect other days of the week?

Is night-owl-person type just a myth and not scientificly proven? Is it a good defense in this case
I've had a similar situation. I didn't have the luxury of being able to tell the leader to cool it, so I just went in with the new schedule.

The night owl theory isn't a pure myth, but it also seems to me that it's a bit overemphasized. It's all about habit. Get into the habit of going to bed on time (set 11 PM as an absolute limit, and aim to go before 10), getting a proper amount of sleep, and waking up early. Do that for some amount of time, and you'll no longer be a "night owl."

But old habits die hard. I haven't been on the "night owl" schedule for many years, but if I'm not watching the clock, I can easily be up until sunrise. Do that even once and it can screw up your entire schedule for the next few days, as you'll be playing catch-up with your sleep/wake cycles and you'll be forcing yourself to stay awake and go to sleep at times that won't feel natural anymore.