View Single Post
Old 2004-04-13, 08:59   Link #13
Archuka
A territory most absolute

I play SC2 too.
Only at home on my Xbox, though. I'm not a great player, but I guess I'm decent.

I play mostly Taki, but sometimes I like to play with Seung Mina and Talim. Lately I've been mixing in a lot of Nighty too and damn, he really is easy as hell to play. He's not slow as hell like Asta, but still packs a punch and has a great range!

I don't really know what works againt human players, since my only human opponent is my sister and she isn't too great.

Anyway, I'll list some Taki moves that seem to work really well against a computer opponent.

The one move that the computer doesn't seem to be able to avoid, ever, seems to be B+K, A (Stalker, A). That's where Taki jumps over his opponent and slashes him/her in the back while she lands. I don't think the computer has ever avoided that when I do it. Estimating the range of the jump can be tricky, but it'll get easier with practice. A great way to get a guaranteed hit on the opponen, but Taki recovers very slowly from that move so a mistake will be a really bad thing for you. (Note that some attacks can hit you in the air. Iv'e heard that experienced Ivy players will easily bring any stalker happy Taki down, repeatedly)

Taki's possession stance (PO) offers some great moves and it should be used frequently. PO, B results in a fast vertical hit that hits high normally, but also seems hit opponents that are trying to get up after being knocked down. Very fast, very lethal and it stuns and knocks down if it connects.

Another one is PO, A. Taki first moves to the left very quickly and then jumps at her opponent and does a high (I think) horizontal slash. The movement to the side dodges pretty much any vertical attack and the slash is quite powerful and launches the opponent to the side.

PO, A+B is nice when you want to throw your opponent out of the ring. Taki grabs both her daggers and whirls them around in her hands and does a powerful horizontal hit. This can be dodged by sidestepping to the right and it's a bit slower than PO, B or PO, A, but it also deals good damage and sends the opponent flying a long way backwards. Soul charging makes this a guard breaking move, but I never use soul charge anyway.

Note that Taki can't block while in possession and all possession moves have horrible recovery.

Another great move is f+A+K (alternatively you can do f,f+K, but f+A+K is faster to input). Looks a lot like break dancing where Taki crashes her legs on her opponent. Has a great range, is fast and deals good damage if both hits connects and as an added bonus it tech crouches (dodges high attacks). Unfortunately it hits special mid, so it can be blocked both low and high.

Takis Windroll (WR) to either side (u/d+B+K) is a great way to avoid attacks and get out of dangerous situations. This move also tech crouches. u/d+B+K, b+A is a nice combo where taki imeddiately stabs her opponent after the WR. u/d+B+K, bd+A is the same, except the slash now hits low instead of mid and Taki automatically goes into PO afterwards. Both of these moves can be avoided by sidestepping and the computer frequently does so. That's why I've started to use u/d+B+K, u/d+K. This time Taki finishes the WR with the same move as 8wr_u or d+K. It's very, very fast and can't be sidestepped.

If you want to try something advanced, you can try fooling your opponent with PO, A+B+K (Exorcism). That's a pretty slow unblockable with medium range and decent damage. It can be instantly cancelled to blocking position, so if you think you have the reflexes, you can lure your opponent into attacking you. If he doesn't, he'll get seriously hurt. I've also read that you can use Exorcism to reduce the delay between basic poking combos. In order to do that, however, you need to be able to do PO, A+B+K and cancel it insanely fast, and my fingers just can't keep up with that.
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote