View Single Post
Old 2008-12-13, 22:25   Link #2470
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnishida View Post
Just finished reading Nursery Rhyme and it was just fine! I was as good as Tayutama but, I was already expecting it yet, it was good enough to make the time I spent on it worth it.
This is why it's sort of interesting going through a company's games in reverse, and I assume that it's sort of the same for you. It's very easy to notice the problems in the earlier games that the newer game was designed to fix.

For example, I'm currently going through feng's Aozora no Mieru Oka, the game released before the now-anime-adapted Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka. It's pretty obvious now that Akane-iro was designed, basically, as a "version 2" of Aozora in a lot of ways. Some of the characters are near-straight copies with just slightly-tweaked personalities (in particular, you could almost call Nonoka and Mizuki siblings, and Iori and Yuuhi aren't far apart either). But they really did fix a lot of Aozora's problems too. For example, Aozora's story is half the length of Akane-iro, and while I at times felt that Akane-iro's story dragged a bit, Aozora's story was definitely way too rushed -- it's paced exactly like a one-cour anime, where the drama/romance only starts in the 10th episode, and that's way too short. Akane-iro gave at least 5-7 anime episodes worth of story to the final pairing not even counting ecchi scenes (which were done as a sort of sidestory/bonus in Akane-iro). There also just some general things about the pacing and presentation that improved in Akane-iro that make Aozora definitely look a bit dated in comparison. Still not a bad game by any stretch (art is generally quite nice, and I'm a fan of the music composer), but its already easy to identify its age. Makes me wonder if they're going to try for a "version 3" with their next game, or do something completely different.

I also have Lump of Sugar's Itsusora here (possibly next in line), and the technical improvements made are obvious from the moment you press start. I mean, "NVL"? That's definitely out of style these days. But it all made sense in the time when it was created.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote