View Single Post
Old 2011-07-01, 18:48   Link #96
Lessing-love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
I will admit a level of uncomfortableness with regards to Ko, especially regarding the terms that he confessed to Ohana and how some people have talked about how Ohana has mistreated Ko. Allot of people rather earnestly got behind the idea that Ohana was being unreasonable not giving Ko a clear answer to his confession after all this time, without acknowledging that Ko confessed to her under circumstances that made her giving a response highly awkward.

Ko's circumstances are a bit unpleasant with regards to Ohana, but I think allot of people might be over sympathizing with him, acting like the tension between them is something Ohana created entirely herself. But no. I wouldn't say I hate Ko. I just don't quite see him as a character. To me he seems more like dramatic foil.

(There's also the philosophical point that I don't think Ko's "Roundabout way of doing things" style works particularly well with regards to a long distance relationship to an emotionally confused teenage girl like Ohana. The main reason this rubs me the wrong way is that it involves Ko not actually doing anything and it seems contrary to many of the themes of the show, where taking initiative IS presented as a good thing.)
My idea on why people don't acknowledge Ko putting Ohana in a really awkrawd situation? Occam's Razor: sexism. When things go wrong in a relationship and the man is a "nice guy", it's clearly the woman's fault.

I agree on Ko not really feeling like a full character, more like dramatic foil. Maybe he'd be less popular if he actually did have a fuller personality?