View Single Post
Old 2008-11-22, 06:51   Link #1982
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
Kaioshin Sama

Your post is too vague for us to make clear sense.

Mind explain why you think Sheryl's character development is in "a gimmicky sort of way" and how her personalities is "flip-flopping"?

You want us to reply you in a sensible way, don't you? Then you need let us know what you exactly mean. We can't give you any good answer because we yet know what make you think that way. Remember, even though this is not a Sheryl fan thread, most people here are Sheryl fans, and Sheryl fans would not think what you are thinking. Right?

btw I had answered to the parts of your post which I could make sense. I'd be grateful if you take one minute to read it.
Sigh....apparently it's not enough that I can just say that I find her character irritating, cite my view of her and be done with it, I have to justify my opinion and thoughts on her for some reason. Truthfully I never really cared if anyone replied at all because I know how it goes with this character and what to expect, I was just trying to leave my say in the thread but....

If you're looking for the answer as to flip-flopping, I believe I already shared it in one of the earlier episode threads, but a primary example is during the part where we first learn of the attack on the Macross Frontier fleet. Sheryl seems to flip flop between being this unfazed sort of character that is strong in the face of the uncertainty as to her home's safety and believes everything is honky dory, and one who is crumbling under the fear of what might have happened and can't seem to take it. And it seems to have nothing to with her street life versus her idol life either, it's just appears like she's holding contradictory reactions and is both the popular ideal of an emotional strong woman, but somehow one who can evoke pity from the audience as well (the "gimmicky" part, though perhaps I just used that term because I couldn't think of any other way to describe the impression I got here) despite the fact that both shouldn't be able to exist simultaneously. And if it was supposed to be a contrast between her idol and street life then I can't say it came across very well as there were other aspects of her street life versus her idol life that were quite obvious and portrayed well enough.

There's also the issue where she seems to alternate between a mature sort of character who is a clear-headed thinker with her words of advice towards Alto and Ranka in a couple of episodes and one that is a totally impulsive and irresponsible hothead who would do something like run off of a building or trip a person in the middle of a street. Some might argue that it's supposed to make her "a woman that knows what she wants" or a complex character, but I say that the writers played fast and loose with the development of her personality and just went with whatever they needed from her at any given moment in order to make her popular. Her character development seemed far to flexible, almost schizophrenic at times such that she seems like more of a symbol than an actual character.

As for her background, I just felt it was cliche. The usual she puts on a strong exterior but really she's had a hard life sort of thing. As I said though it was suitable and fitting.