View Single Post
Old 2012-04-17, 11:52   Link #1070
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVolf View Post
Like larethian said, the sibling's relationship changed dramatically after Kirino's return from America. And now, Fushimi doesn't know how to stop. He's slowly losing control.

And yes, I can understand this sudden buzz that we might actually get a non-blood-related development. There are hints before. It just got worse with vol 10.
The way the first paragraph connects to the second is the part that puzzles me a bit about either the novel and/or the way some people interpret it. I haven't yet read the novel, but at least in the anime I think Kirino's behaviour was always a bit suspect. Even among anime viewers, there were basically two interpretations of the story: that this was a story about pure sibling reconciliation, or that this was a story (at least potentially and partly about) "less pure" sibling romance. With the anime version at least, I think either argument could be supported from the text, though the latter depends a bit more on "inference" (i.e. the hidden meanings behind the words said and gestures shown). Neither interpretation could be proven at the time because the story hadn't developed sufficiently to reveal where it was heading.

Now, it seems that the story has continued down a certain path that suggests that Kirino and Kyousuke's feelings for each other will be "an issue". But rather than saying "the author is losing control; he doesn't know how to stop", isn't this just an extension of the same hints that were present even in the early novels? Couldn't this have really been part of the plan all along, just people assumed it wouldn't be the case?

To be clear, I'm not talking about the way the novel will eventually end or how they resolve their feelings, which I'm rather agnostic about (I think there are many viable possibilities at this point, and I could support any of them if they're well-developed). I just find it strange that some people seem to imply that "no way; those themes weren't there at first", as if now, all of a sudden, the author "changed his mind". I think it's more likely that some people just didn't catch the hints in the earlier volumes, but now the author's making it more blatant/obvious so it can't be avoided. This is basically the problem with a story that allows for multiple interpretations; one of them will ultimately be proven correct (or, if they can't accept it, I suppose someone can just blame the author for "changing his mind" or "being influenced" or "selling out" or whatever).

Again: talking about themes being present, not whatever ending this will take, which I think is a separate issue.