View Single Post
Old 2012-11-01, 09:18   Link #187
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I saw one of the weirdest examples of a "male gaze" shot in episode four of Shin Sekai Yori. The camera was positioned at ground level just behind the heroine. She was standing with her legs slightly apart, and the camera showed her cute stockings with laces and the subject of the shot through her legs. We never saw anything else, but it was obviously intended to suggest the putative camera operator would have had a good look at her panties. I guess syn might consider that an example of "subtle" fanservice; I just found it distracting.
I'd disagree with that case in particular,the storyboarder for that episode just seemed to have an affection for ground level shots, we got the reverse shot of the one you mentioned when at one point the "camera" was right behind the "library" or we go a shot of the kids through the monk's legs or later on when they're attacked by the queerats there's one of the kids through the queerat's legs.

That shot is often used when there's confrontation,like a standoff in a western or a fight in a shonen action show,I think that's what they were going for here.

Though of course yes,in many other cases this type of shot can be used for fanservice, especially in fanservicy action shows.