View Single Post
Old 2014-01-03, 16:01   Link #306
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
Infatuation isn't love, but if love arises later, it makes it much more likely that the love is of a romantic/sexual sort.

Infatuation is an extravagant passion/attraction. It is almost always used in the sense of "a crush".
Infatuation can literally evolve out of nearly any obsessive feeling. While Eroes is the most common, it also arises out of people we idolize, such as people you want to emulate or otherwise hold to a high standard.

Quote:
Philia love (or "Brotherly/Friendship" love) is a type of love that I would not expect to build up in the course of two people knowing each other for just a few weeks. At least not to the extent that Homura displays love for Madoka. If this was brotherly/friendship love, then it's such a love at its very highest level, and sorry, but I just don't buy it - Not for someone that Homura has only known for a month or so (when she makes a wish clearly tied to a deep passion for this other person).

Storge love is Familial love. Homura and Madoka are not relatives. They're not in the same family.

With Philia seeming highly doubtful, and Storge simply not fitting the facts, we're left with Eroes.
Storge can evolve in relationships that aren't literally familial. The Nakama/True Companions trope is literally all about that.

Philia is just as valid as Eros in this context; love makes people irrational and passionate regardless of type. There are other cases of fiction where someone timeloops for ~100 years or whatever to save someone dear to them with no romantic element of any kind.

Off the top of my head, Steins;Gate.

Rebellion also makes Agape a possibility, even if a bit twisted.

Quote:
At that point, expressing romantic feelings to Homura could cause more harm than good. Madoka is clearly no longer in a position to act on them. So making them known to Homura would be an epic tease.

I could see Madoka thinking that "Friendzoning" Homura here would actually be the kinder approach to take.

Also, Madoka might not be able to tell that Homura's love for her is Eroes. Like yourself, Madoka may view Homura's actions as signs of Philia love, so saying "You're my best friend" is the best response possible to that.
So Madoka is either stupid or emotionally manipulative. Okay. :P

Look, if we can't treat Madoka as being honest and sincere in her last conversation with like...ANYBODY pre-Rebellion, then we basically can't trust anything ever. That scene was supposed to be when Madoka and Homura finally reach an understanding. I'm going to flat-out reject anything or anyone insinuating otherwise.