View Single Post
Old 2009-10-18, 21:53   Link #21
hero147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
I don't have those questions (why would I?), and I'm hardly as nitpicky on the things I watch as I'm on the things I write. That said I wouldn't be here arguing if I felt watching S1 following common sense (which you yourself seem to preach) actually helped in this case. Also, Hei and Yin are not the main focus in this one (go watch the opening you skipped) and Mao is dead, not that I care.

The attitude of you people to spoilers and apparent chronological order is hypocritical honestly. You don't like spoilers because its apparently always more fun to watch it or find it out later but recommend everyone goes and watch S1 as a must, even though this one is more of a side story.
Watching season 1 is following common sense. You don't build the second floor of a building before the first. The first season laid the groundwork to which the second season can expand on. Nice of you to infer that I didn't watch the opening, unfortunately your wrong, and I still believe that Hei and Yin will probably be pretty damn important regardless. Tell me if you think otherwise. Oh, and I have a feeling the Mao comment will come and bite you back in the ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
You are generalizing, that is very fragile ground you walk. While I did watch S1 now, I sure can do nothing about the hole gossip train that was going on each week when it aired, so your absolute values in your arguments have no meaning to me and never will.

Also, I wouldn't call the first season a burden. It had episodic "Contractor of the week" theme with 3 key episodes thrown in to hint to the ending and some cheap links here and there. You then had the filler arcs with no conclusion - who did fatsinger and poet boy work for in the end? - and cheesy filler characters like the detective and gangster. I would say S1 had potential and did nothing with it; lets face it Hei and co. played more the role of the weird 3rd party rather then the protagonist(s).
Unfortunately, I didn't watch Darker than Black while it aired, I watched it right after the first episode aired after hearing good reviews on it, I decided to pick it up. As for the Season 1 itself, although it was very episodic in nature and not as coherent as a series as it could have been, it focused itself into exploring segments in the story. Each arc presented something whether it was development for a character, back story, or even a theme.

Did you miss the arc completely? First of all, the arc which included the fatsinger and poet boy wasn't filler, it explored the back story of Yin. Secondly, who they worked for doesn't make the arc inconclusive, since it had no relevance to the purpose of the arc. (On a side-note, I think I read or seen somewhere that they were from Russian intelligence). Though I agree the the detective and his little side-kick were pretty much useless. For the role of the gangster arc, we see some development not just in a side character, but in Hei as well. Hei, at the conclusion of the arc, views Yin/dolls in a different light.
hero147 is offline   Reply With Quote