View Single Post
Old 2012-07-29, 11:25   Link #71
kyp275
Meh

Sigh, and it continues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
The reason this scenario does not occur is a combination of guns being restricted by licenses, and the police being suitably powerful to prevent it. These kind of crimes were ubiquitous prior to the modern era (it's what feudalism is based on, I can kill you, you give me money).
Which again HAVE NOTHING to do with the nature of police forces, can you deflect and evade some more?

Quote:
There are already several articles linked in this thread earlier that debunks that myth, and is rather easily found if you actually put in the effort to search for it.

Quote:
That article still suggests that most weapons (besides the military grade) are sourced in the United States.
Yea, someone didn't read the same article I did, quote "This means that the 87 percent figure relates to the number of weapons submitted by the Mexican government to the ATF that could be successfully traced and not from the total number of weapons seized by Mexican authorities or even from the total number of weapons submitted to the ATF for tracing. In fact, the 3,480 guns positively traced to the United States equals less than 12 percent of the total arms seized in Mexico in 2008 and less than 48 percent of all those submitted by the Mexican government to the ATF for tracing. This means that almost 90 percent of the guns seized in Mexico in 2008 were not traced back to the United States."

Quote:
1. Most people (in the United States) can afford a gun, you can buy a handgun for as little as $140, well within the reach of all but the poorest.
....and is a useless POS. You don't get to preach the awfulness of firearms on the back of heavy/military grade equipments, and go around quoting the price of civilian pea-shooters that can barely take out a varmint, and has less effective range than people can throw a basketball.

Quote:
It is possible to have gun ownership and restrict the flow of weapons to organised crime and other extra legal organisations. I would simply do the following:
1. Limit all residents and citizens to 2 weapons, 1 of which is a small arm (pistol, handgun), the other being a rifle or shotgun, with exceptions for those possessing a hunting or sports license.
2. Require all gun sales to be carried out through licensed gun vendors.
3. Require all guns sold to be registered to a single individual, and listed on a government database. You must have a certificate showing you know how to use the gun, and are of sound mind, with no criminal past, or connections.
4. Reselling a gun, or allowing it fall out of your possession will be an prisonable offense.
5. Allowing your gun to be stolen will be a prisonable offense unless you can prove you took adequate precautions to secure it against theft, which are listed by the government.
6. If your gun is used in any kind of felony, unless you can prove you adequately secured the gun, you are also responsible.
7. A gun may only be disposed of by selling it back to a licensed vendor, or selling it to a government armory, or having the transfer of the license approved by the state authority, with the new owner listed on the state's database.
Good lord, why don't you take their first-born and their wives while you're at it? Presumption of Guilt instead of Innocence? Wow, just... wow...

Quote:
Gun laws in the United States are lax in comparison, if you wanted to you can buy unlimited number of guns (who really needs more then 1 for self defense?), and you don't need to register a gun that's bought at a gun fair. It's not banning guns outright (as that would be anathema to most americans), it's about control.
Which by your logic should have already collapsed, after all with THIS MUCH GUN around organized crimes in the US must be IMMENSELY powerful, certainly far more than any piddy local police department can manage. I guess I better call the news station to tell them the US is a failed state, since it seems like nobody has realized it yet

Nobody is arguing that there should not be any regulation, but the regulation you're proposing is just so far out there it's not even funny, nor is your outlandish claims that civilian grade weaponry will allow organized crimes to topple governments (the Syrian rebels would wish it was so easy). Your slipper slope fallacies are so slippery it can probably sling shot you straight to the moon.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote