View Single Post
Old 2011-02-13, 00:35   Link #430
herbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
It does a bit. I believe I see where you are coming from, in that you believe simply using words and stating one's intention, is supposed to be manipulation. It makes me scratch my head, though.

A salesman will be quite honest that he wants to sell you a TV. And he may tell you on several different occasions that he can sell you one cheap. Is he being manipulative? I have a feeling you will say yes, but I'd have to say no. He's being honest about what he wants.

We take it one further, and I finally decide to buy a TV from him, and so take the one he points out. Later on, I discover that the remote control only works from 5 feet away, and I get upset that I wasn't told that. But whose fault is it? The salesman for not telling me? Or me for not doing proper research on what I'm buying? If I take that TV back and complain, they aren't legally obliged to take it back. The courts will say that I bought and paid for it, and I can't just take the transaction back.

The salesman didn't manipulate me, nor do any wrong.
It is a matter of degree. If you just dislike the word of "manipulation" How about think a little bit about hard selling versus soft selling? Both legal sales approaches, but hard selling pisses most people off.