View Single Post
Old 2011-02-28, 23:50   Link #22088
Kylon99

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
While I don't agree with Mirrored and side with Renall on this issue, he does have a BIT of a point. While the innocents deserve to have their names cleared and the surviving families reassured, reversing that into a desire to find the culprit and reveal their black nature, like Erika does, is a spiteful hobby with no moral motivation behind it.
I think what Ryukishi was really talking about wasn't just about finding out the truth but the interpretation of it that invariably follows. The interpretation can't be done objectively unless you know the whole truth so that in a situation where most of it was blown to bits, it will most likely be biased.

For example it could be that Kyrie did go around shooting people in Rokkenjima according to Eva's diary. But (if the EP7 TP is to be believed) Eva seemed to have made up some ideas that Kyrie was psycho and that's why she did it. Or in EP8 people concluded that because she had some shady connections that she and Rudolf were psycho killers. This part isn't really about finding out the truth, but forcing the facts to fit the ideas.

It'd be just as sick if you write a sugary-sweet story about how the whole family loved each other and everything was just awesome as Battler almost did at the beginning of EP8. (I guess he was trying to fight Ange's biases by going to the opposite end... heh)

We were just as pissed off at Erika when she did this to Natsuhi. It was true (in the the EP5 story at least) that she hid Kinzo's death and went around suspiciously when the 'murders' occurred. This is the truth. But the reading of the diary and the accusations that she was Kinzo's lover were ideas that Erika forced the facts to fit.

I believe what Ange decided to do at the end of EP8 is very similar here, that it was best to let the dead rest. I personally don't 100% agree with it but I can appreciate this point of view. Even if a crime had been committed, especially a murder-suicide, that in the end (as long as there were no more culprits to apprehend) it may be better to just let it go...
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote