View Single Post
Old 2011-03-01, 00:31   Link #22092
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
That's really not the "magic" we are talking about here. "Magic" in Umineko has a precise meaning.
It's given more than one meaning. You're just ignoring that.

Quote:
What exactly is that supposed to mean? I'm not good at deductive reasoning because I claim you're wrong? Nice logic.
See above. You're claiming I'm wrong because you're only accepting one definition of magic given in Umineko, even though more than one is given even from a "Mystery/Human" standpoint.

Quote:
The fact that there are people that actually buy this and that redirect their contempt from the criminal to the one that wants to expose the crime... is simply terrifying...
I'll agree with you here; though in fairness any claims that Erika has no intentions but to find out the truth is bullshit. She's demonstrated that she doesn't want THE truth, she wants A truth that can satisfy her question, and will then proceed to use it to humiliate and hurt innocent people.

While condemning all of the truth seekers is wrong, Erika herself sort of deserves it.

Quote:
The only person in the whole Rokkenjima Prime world who is not an unconcerned third party is Ange, who does deserve to learn the truth. Despite the attacks on Battler's methods here, I remember very clearly that Battler both gave her the key to unlock the diary and said that in the end he would've let her have it. (Of course, Ange just started screaming like a little brat about how Battler was only interested in feeding her lies. I'm sure we're not supposed to agree to that extreme view of events... right?)
Before the servants' families are brought into this, I'd like to point out that absolutely none of them wanted to uncover events, put their hands over their ears, and tried to get on with their lives. Though they bought into incorrect and sad ideas, they decided they'd rather not know in case it would hurt them. While they deserve to know in a sense, there's a running theme in the work about how people only receive miracles or certainty if they work for it.

Ange is the only surviving character who tried to discover the truth.

Quote:
I remember very clearly that he forbade her to use her key on that diary!
The way I got it, Battler gave her the freedom to use her key on anything except that diary.
I will point out that specific diary represents "the best possible tale for Beatrice and [Battler]". It is not the truth, and it was never purported to be. It's a romantic fiction to let Beatrice dream peacefully forever.