Thread: Licensed Samurai Champloo
View Single Post
Old 2004-05-21, 10:52   Link #80
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennwenn
Samurai Champloo only seemed okay to me so far. The style is cool, but I need a few more episodes to see if I like the characters or the story. The best way to describe this series is hip-hop meets samurai, like someone else said. I'm not really into hip-hop...

There are funny anachronisms, like the punk who's yukata had Addias stripes, as if it were a tracksuit. Or the guy's sunglasses, the fro, break-dance sword-fights, D-J hip-hop soundtrack.

It will probably remind many people of Tarantino films, since Tarantino also takes a cool music+cool action style like Watanabe does. There are probably a few Japanese film references/stylistic patterns thrown in Samurai Champloo that I can't pick up because I haven't seem many samurai flicks.
If its sneak references to modernalities (e.g. the tracksuit), its enjoyable. However for language, it does make me pause in enjoying this series when the medievals start saying "top class" (yes that was said). Did the English language even use that in the late 1800s?!

And I'm relieved to note I'm not alone in thinking their "scratching" transitions were not a good idea. It makes the transition seem too disjarring (i.e. not smooth). Best examples being the Mugen fight -> Jin fight.

Got a chuckle how Mugen asked for 50 Dangos to beat the louts out but Fuu instead offered 100 at the end but Mugen completely messed up his maths in counting Dango per head

Quote:
What the heck does Champloo mean?
I had written up translations of their official character bios. Mugen's description explains what the heck Champloo is.

Check it out: http://www.anime-source.com/banzai/m...ed634dcc43c9f0
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote