View Single Post
Old 2008-03-11, 12:25   Link #1
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Stupid RAM clock speed question

Okay, so I've decided I've been keeping out of the upgrade curve for too long now. Now, I'm dirty cheap, so since I don't really need the additional horsepower a new CPU would bring me I feel no urge to update my (very old) motherboard (ASUS A7V600). From what I can dig up online (I've lost my manual ), the mobo only supports 400 mhz of data transfer max for RAM. Now my question is, is there any compatibility issues when using 667 mhz RAM sticks? I'm asking this because the 400 mhz ones are extremely expensive, and I'd much rather upgrade the whole PC for that money. My instinct says no (what I can remember about RAM incompatibilities has to do with different clock speeds between two different sticks, not with the mobo). At most, I would not be able to take full advantage of the RAM's potential, but I'm not very worried about that.

Anyways, I wanted to check on that. I'm 99% sure there are almost no issues to speak of, but I don't want to go through the issue of opening up my whole box just to find out the thing is not compatible.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote