View Single Post
Old 2008-05-11, 11:26   Link #66
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbduece View Post
I used to think like that, something along your line before, but i see a different reality now. I consider my old train of thought idealistic and carefree. Lowell1025 convey it very well, everyones thought and ideals are different, there is no one right way of thinking. To tell you the truth i prefer my old ways than what is now, but once "pandora's box" has been open it can not be undone.
Of course everyone is shaped by his or her own experiences (philosophers who assert otherwise are often victims of scrutiny by later generations...with the most likely conclusion being that they are shaped by their own experiences after all ), but surely that isn't an argument in favor of social darwinism really.

Besides, if you are going to brush away attacks on social darwinism with a relativist argument (ironic, since I was pointing out that one of the biggest flaws of social darwinism is exactly the relativistic nature behind many of its assertions), then we can't debate very far, as such an argument puts us on no certain floors at all; and, well, I'm not quite "in" with the whole metaphysics part of philosophy. It is easier to conclude then that, since everyone sees the world from his or her own perspective, and there is no certain falsehood, that all Lelouch really needs to justify his actions on is absolutely nothing, except whatever he decides to believe in. I think it's called Nunnalism.

Oh, and cynicism, while often a necessary product of age and experience, isn't always right. As the cliché goes, there's a lot that a little girl can teach an old man on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae
"There is always a flying person above a running one."
And indeed a wise idiom, except that it does not necessarily challenge my argument, since its gist, if my interpretation is correct, is not that the strong ought to conquer the weak, but simply that, however strong one thinks he or she is, there is always someone stronger.

As far as social darwinism goes, the Flying Man will try and oppress the Running Man, and he will argue that it is righteous and proper, and when the Running Man gets his vengeful, "weak" hands on a shotgun, the Flying Man's philosophy will be blown to bits together with what used to be his internal organs.

Or maybe there is pollution up in all those clouds, and the Running Man achieves evolutionary advantage over the Flying Man. And all the world is turned upside down.

Twisting metaphors is fun.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote