View Single Post
Old 2011-04-25, 15:32   Link #994
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

While I agree with Acejem's comment that episode 4 felt a lot like Toradora where as the first two had more of a True Tears vibe, I'm not sure that it actually marks a shift in direction.

Perhaps the best way to describe how I see this show is "slice of chaos". It is slice of life, but Ohana's life is much more of a bumpy ride than what you typically find in shows of this type. So to me, the shift in tone from episode to episode is actually part of the show's character. This is probably why I don't find the tone shifts that jarring.

I suspect the episodes themselves are part of a mosiac, and I expect the end result to be much, much more interesting that the sort of slice of lifes that people are accusing this show of becoming.

Consistency wise, the important thing for the writers is to maintain the character of the characters... ie, Ohana may be prone to oblivious moments just like other "high spirited" lead girls, but she also has a bit of "bite" that her competition lacks because she's stubborn and a bit world-weary. This is why my one major problem with episode 3 was how forgiving the inn staff was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
No they definitely do. Male characters in shows like these tend to be used as comic relief or obnoxious antagonists only as opposed to real characters with actual depth. You're not supposed to be focusing on them anyway though.
Eh, Tohru is an obnoxious prick but he's hardly a flat character. And of course, Ko is awesome but its too early to reintroduce him into the picture, it would kill the poignancy of him and Ohana getting separated. The novelist is obviously comic relief but that's one in three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Also sounds like this show is following the rule where any show with an overwhelming female cast that takes place at least partially in a school eventually turns into a slow-paced light comedy no matter how it starts off. In this case the transformation appears to occur the second they get to the school parts and if I had to guess you probably won't see any more drama until the final episodes.
I'd say there's a snowball's chance in hell of that happening. First because this show has avoided settling into any particular groove for long thus far, second because several scenes in episode four were obviously meant to set up the next round of drama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi-kun
But I think in chapter 1 they said they(ohana and minchi) were the same age!
Remember that comment comes from Tomoe, who is 28. To her, her 16 and 17 year old coworkers probably are "the same age".

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote