View Single Post
Old 2007-02-10, 20:54   Link #33
Rare
Verses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn View Post
When I got into naruto last year, I watched... about 150 episodes in one week. From the moment i got out of bed I sat all day and watched naruto. I did this for 5 days straight. only breaks was sleep, going to get something eat, bathroom. and at that point I felt I was in this other place... and now having to wait a week to watch, is just killing me. and its only 22 minutes.
F*ck...I did the same thing about a year ago...though with fewer episodes ofc.

You don't sound nutty, we wouldn't so specifically watch anime if it consisted only of the documenting of a day to day life. We (I speak for myself hoping that my reasons are reflective of others') watch it because the characters go through something unique or different to our own lives. Not to say we can't relate to them. Quite the opposite, we relate to them despite their very much more interesting circumstances (with good shows at least). The gamut of human emotion is something we can all understand, anime characters go through the same emotional responses we do just on a greater scale, with more heroic deeds.

Nietzsche, amongst other great thinkers, suggests that plain happiness or contentment is not beneficial for humans or at least not humans striving to excel. What he champions is running the range of emotional development, putting oneself through fear, hatred, depression along with ecstasy, enlightenment and love; so what you say about needing some disastrous catalyst to kick start your life is not crazy at all.

"Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
Rare is offline   Reply With Quote