View Single Post
Old 2012-01-06, 20:50   Link #30
Balzac
Assistant Professor

I apologize for reviving an old post, but I would like to give my thoughts for posterity. Please bear in mind that I'm not a fan of anime, and the only series I've watched for the last eight years was Angel Beats! and only because it was something original that Jun Maeda had penned and I was curious to see what it was.

I've posted my thoughts over at the Rewrite section, but I believe I shall echo it here. The thing with animating Little Busters! is to know that basing on my impression of it as a Key game, too many parts of it are typical or shall we say generic eroge/galge fare. You have a school setting, a rapidly building up cast of girls with their own quirky personalities, and crazy hijinks to accompany. In addition, you have a main lead that echoes the weak, but determined main lead which one can see in most eroges, spineless even to some people. The comedy was classic Key fare, but it felt like I was reading any other work by other VN companies, way different in tone and atmosphere than Clannad or Air produced.

Now, I've no idea on what the Japanese might see as marketable for their audience in terms of anime, but animating all that seems to throw a different light on Little Busters!, making it seem quite atypical of past Key works for the most part. Without careful adaptation, before long the audience might grow stale without even seeing the last part of the game, which was the absolute best, and arguably redeeming, part of the story.

I've read the views on "repeating" the same things and I generally agree, unless there's a format to show how things change without boring people, then you would be boring people. For the gamers, that was their game, to "grind up" the main character by "repeating" (I'm being vague) scenes over again. Should the animator remove that, then you merely have a succession of arcs concerning the girls which then overall would have no meaning to the story's end. (In fact, having never watched the Clannad anime, I would think the same impression was made there...probably?)

A case could be made for introducing action scenes to the episodes, which perhaps the people over there might like, and there's certainly enough precedent coming from the game with the Battle System, but how long can that be sustained, I repeat, without casting light on the show as very atypical of Key?

The same cannot be said of Rewrite, Key's other latest game which many in the reviewers section of Key are clamoring for, but that's another subject altogether.

Thanks for reading.