Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-04, 04:51   Link #306
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprene View Post
"Maou" will be translated "Demon King", as otherwise a lot of the dialogue simply becomes a non-sequiter. I know "Demon Queen" is the more commonly used translation in this thread, but that doesn't work with this adaptation.
Hi Cyprene,

thanks for at least announcing and explaining this decision, but for MaoYuu fans, this is a very painful change pushing us out of the comfort zone by a big margin (at least that is my reaction to it). Demon Queen isn't merely "more commonly used", it is the accepted canon of the english-speaking fanbase - I have never been in a discussion with a MaoYuu fan who used anything else, except for one time: I remember uneasily reading and soon dropping a scanlation of another MaoYuu version primarily based on the stubborn insistence on "Demon King", which felt very off-base. Yes, that's the literal translation, but it sure was no good one.

There may be a scene later in which the gender of the Demon ruler may become an issue, but couldn't that be TL noted or worked around?

Your decision has been made, so you won't change it so close before the airing, but throughout my decade of fansubbing, I've repeatedly found that once a TL spurns an established term/name of the fanbase while insisting on a different, "correct" translation, it has backfired. So could you give a non-sequitur example of what couldn't have worked differently?
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote