View Single Post
Old 2011-04-30, 10:32   Link #2085
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Hmm, I know what you are talking about, and I would like to refute it, in part. I called that "never giving the fans what they want" "Whedonesque", and with good reason. Joss Whedon had almost perfected the art of withholding the most obvious and desired end goals for his audience in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, often not bringing together couples that were widely desired. He instead opted in most parts for completely different outcomes, which were interesting on their own, yet still quite frustrating. The problem with doing that serially ( and I postulate that Kawamori is starting to do that with things like whisking Alto away with the Vajra queen, which was quite similar to what happened to Shin in Zero ) is that fans start to get cynical about your work after a while, because they know they can expect to be trolled at the end. I think you could also call it "dangling a carrot in front of a horse", with the pay-off never happening.

For me, that is a problem. When unpredictability itself becomes predictable, it is difficult to trust the product of a writer. Which, at least in my case, leeches off a considerable amount of fun from reading/watching it.
Well...the simple answer to that is: write your own story and end it however YOU see fit.