View Single Post
Old 2013-03-30, 17:47   Link #715
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
"Selling a firearm to your friend" translates to "Selling a firearm to anybody you want."

Unless "friend" is some specific legal qualification I didn't know about, to be able to sell to a "friend" implies absolute unrestricted weapon sales. Once you transfer it to a "friend" it is gone.

You do know WHY there are background checks, right? It is to make sure guns don't fall in the wrong hands. For you to say there shouldn't be a paper trail is to say you want the background checks to be meaningless. Because once you get to decide who own the gun after you, we don't know who's hands is holding the gun next.

Did you think background checks are just a formality?

It is currently a crime in the US to transfer ownership of a gun to someone who you know can't legally own one. It doesn't carry that much of a penalty consider the seriousness, even if the person you give the gun to then proceeds to rob a bank. It's called "Straw purchase". And it is the easiest way for a known felon to obtain a gun. No need for a black market when you can just ask your family members to buy the gun for you.
Then those family members should be held accountable for aiding someone in a crime. Which is an entirely different argument altogether.

You want the Federal Government involved far more than I do. I want it as out of my life as possible. Kind of like the Founders intended.