View Single Post
Old 2013-01-09, 12:19   Link #31600
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
I kind of got what Erika was about from the very moment she was introduced somehow, or at least I was thinking in the direction that was decided upon at the end of EP6, so I can't say that I think it's a bad plot element. Still I agree with you that it could have been handled
a) more elegantly and
b) in a way that serves the plot much more

Like this the whole "we are 18 but 17" thing is just like a neat little afterword that either confirms the suspicions you had or has no impact beyond the tension it holds in that very scene. Erika's existence was that of a half-life anyway so, nothing lost, nothing gained...
Probably. My main issue is just they ended up going "The number is lower... wait now it's back where it was because of Erika!" It kind of spoiled what could otherwise be an appropriately confusing trick that would be clear to everybody who had already figured it out (not that it wasn't reasonably clear to begin with).

In all honesty, lowering the count then raising it again makes Shkanon more suspicious when you get to ep6's conclusion, because now you know exactly who you're not supposed to be looking at (Kinzo or Erika). For example, had it been more ambiguous some people might've read the ending as a mere blanket denial of Erika, rather than a giant flashing neon sign indicating two of the other characters are one.

And yes I agree with you that had proto-Erika been implemented when Ryukishi had initially meant to that the flow might've been fine the way it was, but it would've also rather significantly changed what ep5 and probably ep6 became too, so who knows how that would've gone.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote