View Single Post
Old 2020-08-18, 18:43   Link #29
kari-no-sugata II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
The series's take on demons feels really fresh, despite being a return to the basics, where demons are not humans with horns.
Yep. Feels somewhat refreshing.

Slightly reminds me of Hellmaster Phibrizzo from Slayers, for example. Though he's not a "human with horns" but has the form of a human child, but he is basically "pure evil" while also using a deliberately childish appearance to play on people's empathy for the sake of his plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
But on the topic of the demons, its pretty definitive where her mindset lays and why. I think the series did a good job of showing why she thinks that way and then showing that she's absolutely correct. It gets the moral dilemma right out of the way.
Yeah. In addition I think it would be hard for the series to justify Frieren being fundamentally wrong about demons given that she's been around so long and has clearly fought them. I think if the author had tried to leave it as an open question for a chapter or two it wouldn't have been the best option - the actual case of demons being demonic raises the stakes a lot more. It also plays into Frieren's character trait of lacking empathy while also helping make the reader feel sympathy for her. A neat trick - making readers feel empathy for the MC's lack of empathy while at the same time making the fake empathy of the demons feel especially evil.
kari-no-sugata II is online now   Reply With Quote