View Single Post
Old 2012-10-21, 21:39   Link #80
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
I am not sure if it's fair to compare series with different premises and different style of executions with each other. Those 3 series may have been well executed for you, but i don't see many similarities otherwise.

edit: I liked last seasons Hyouka and Tari Tari for their execution. While theese 2 series have some similarities in their basic premise (both were essentially "coming of age" stories in a high school settings and it was mostly set in a club), but the way how the stories were told was very different.
I used ~ef as a school setting show because it's much closer to Tari Tari than LoGH since I knew posters like the above poster would as expected point out the difference in scope of their premises.

And interesting you brought up Hyouka because to me that is shining example to me recently of being able to break the mold of school setting shows. Tari Tari definitely isn't IMO. And it's not just execution, it's their very premises that are different too. Hyouka set itself up to be a more methodical show with more interesting and complex characters than Tari Tari, and for that reason it manages to elevate past it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Mist View Post
Again, the initial assumption that LOGH deserves more credit than Tari Tari just based on the scope of their story is something I can't agree with. Both are trying to present different themes and the nuances that come with their genre and context make the titles incomparable.

It's just a matter of personal philosophy at this level. I don't put the seriousness or amount of layers of a work in a pedestal. I simply look for that in fiction that aims for that, and don't care for it on fiction that doesn't even try to reach a huge level of complexity.
Why I used ~ef as another example, or you can even use Hyouka for all I care since I knew people would complain about that example. Though really people disregarding comparisons is just an an easy excuse for mediocre efforts. They are not incomparable.

And no you're not even understanding what I said. I never talked about scope. I am merely referring to the ability of a production to break free from myriad of extremely banal premises out there and do something creative, new, distinctive. The first thing I look for in most works is what its personal merits are that not many other shows out there have. If it has none, how could I ever really call it that great?

This has nothing to do with complexity necessarily. Some of the best works in anime or art in general are fairly simplistic. Look at a film like Grave of the Fireflies which is an all time classic, the story is simple as hell but sure packs a punch.

Yeah a good work by default requires strong execution. What makes a good work great though? I am saying that lies in the very essence of its story, which something like Tari Tari could never hope to achieve due to the limits it placed on itself through its premise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberchu View Post
Did someone compare Tari Tari to LOGH? imo, that's comparing apples to oranges. You really can't say Inception was a better movie than, say, Hot Tub Time Machine because they're of completely different genres. If you want to compare two series you really have to compare between genres.
It's quite easy to dismiss my claims with a simple "BUT YOU CAN'T COMPARE," (But you can) but if you really read my post you'd see I provided you another example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
At the end of the day, basically, a promise of "good execution" may be enough to help people overcome their misgivings about a show's initial premise. Perhaps sort of like "I don't usually like shows about <x>, but I have to admit this one was really well done." And even for people who do like a certain genre or concept already, "good execution" may cause an already-enjoyable show to become one that is cherished or often re-watched. Outside of this sort of internal fandom war where every show is in competition with each other ("There can be only one!"), what it really comes down to is: "Am I likely to enjoy this show?" So I think that's really what this so-called "execution effect" is all about: it can elevate a premise beyond its pre-conceived constraints.
Yeah but at least what I trying to get is that the genre doesn't even matter. There are titles within the same genre that I think are better merely based on its pretensions being a bit more distinctive, creative than the norm in a good way. Good execution is a requirement for any good work, but what really takes it to the next level? I really did like that diving analogy someone used earlier, though you didn't agree with it and thought it was more like ice skating.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote