View Single Post
Old 2004-02-23, 18:03   Link #56
bluemist
i am the mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2
Hmmmm in US, people still given leeway to enjoy anime or manga at least but in Japan, it is a social suicide to admit that you like anime or manga. Interesting!

In my country, people is quite ambivalient towards manga and anime, you can say Malaysians is pretty tolerant bunch when comes to anime and manga. I happy to admit that I am a fan to most my contacts and they respected my taste.

Just my opinion, here in South East Asia, anime is not a bad thing. In Phillipines, anime has achive certain cult status, like Voltes 5. Marcos banned it because of political reasons.
Yes, cult status of anime in the Philippines is quite different from the otaku status in Japan. Because the entertainment industry here is quite small, there is an entirely huge chance that one has been exposed to anime once in their life. Therefore the 'anime is not only for kids' culture is slowly blurring out the 'anime is just for kids' attitude.

Example, because we Filipinos love sports, sports anime get to be very popular even with non-anime watchers. I meant all kinds of people in all age groups in all walks of life. Case in point was Slam Dunk and Hajime no Ippo. Slam Dunk is so popuar sometimes I even hear discussions about Slam Dunk much often like discussions for the NBA and our own PBA basketball leagues. Also, we have a very strong boxing industry, in which many Filipinos have been worldwide boxing champions.
bluemist is offline   Reply With Quote