View Single Post
Old 2008-10-25, 03:30   Link #1237
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcannis View Post
This whole Monster discussion got me wondering what kind of spin would happen if a Koenig fired off a railgun while floating in space. I haven't taken a physics class in over a decade so this was a nice stretch, though I'm sure I screwed up somewhere.

First of all, I'm not sure where the .003s Haesslich used in his calculations came from... I assumed that with a 41m barrel, to go from 0 to 5812m/s, plug into F = mv^2/(2d) gives me 206,000kN or about a fifth of Haesslich's number. The time it would take came out to be about 0.014s (using t=2d/v). So definitely same ballpark, though not as nice a number as 1 000 000kN.

Then approximating the the Monster as a 25m diameter 100ton sphere and assuming it was fixed in space at it's center of mass (which is impossible of course) I got about 54rpm from firing one gun. Pretty nasty, even if reality would be some fraction of that.
I pulled the speed figures from the US Navy's specifications for that naval railgun that Daigo was talking about - and then got the time based on the length of the barrel (20m) from estimates based on the specified size of the VB-6 and the length of the railguns compared to the main body... which appears to be about 20-ish meters, as the remaining 9 meters of the airframe's length. Basically the way the HWR-00's and VB-6's guns are set up (bore size and apparent length) look to be Kawamori stealing the design from a battleship turret (the 16"/50 Caliber Mark 7 guns). This means that t=0.007, and now I see where I fucked up the calculations.

Just to be sure, what was the mass you were punching in there? I was doing just a straight F=ma calculation, IIRC, but substituted v/t as I didn't have the acceleration at the time. If I'm keeping the mass of the railgun slug at 500kg, then punching that into the formula (F=mv^2/td) along with the distance of 20m (2d = 40m) gets me a yield of around 422,242 kN... which is just under half of what I had with the incorrect figure (I had the time set too low), but still a godawful huge force.

Put that back into your formulae, and you get ugly numbers. This isn't even considering the possibility of shock damage to the pilot and equipment inside that frame, since they're not ALL going to move at exactly the same velocity. Oh, and sheer stresses on the frame at the point where the gun joins the body... and if you've got axial twisting of the rails that you have to stop (which is going to happen in a railgun), then THAT KE has to go somewhere too - like into the barrel, and then into the rest of the mount that connects it to the Konig Monster.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote