View Single Post
Old 2008-03-25, 12:31   Link #202
vio5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I really think you should look at whitemoon's post as he possibly explains Shinchiro's motives when he chased after her on the bike.

The idea that because the characters lack communication, everything becomes more unrealistic is silly. I must have a pretty weird life then because people around me don't speak their mind like so. Like recently I've been having a hard time at a job, then it got to a point of ridiculousness that I brought up troubles to my boss and a whole dramatic meeting took place for like the next 30 minutes. Maybe you people are way more open, but thoughts and feelings are transmitted between humans usually by subtle clues. I don't know, maybe I have a weird life! But I'll leave it as your opinion.
b0nyb0y deals with this in his post on the main issues that people are having with the "realism" being portrayed. I think his response would be the same as mine, so I'll repost his lines and elaborate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0nyb0y View Post
I think the main thing that keeps this series from being 100% realistic is how little characters talk about what they intended to do or how they really feel until the final moment of their corresponding plot arcs. Oftentimes what's said only gave a slight hint (and rather ambiguous at that) of what action the character will take next. Yes, from screenwriting point of view, it makes sense to build suspense and save the revelation for later episodes, but damn, it's so irritating. To me, if the characters have been a little more communicative, and sending less mixed signal in their behaviors, then it wouldn't really stir up so much irritations in audiences as can be seen now in this thread. For example, by the end of this episode, if Shin just want to break up with Noe and go for Hiromi, realistically he should have reassured her before running off to Noe. Likewise, if he chooses to be with Noe, he can make Hiromi knows of his intention by saying just a couple of short sentences before taking off. Doing either of those would take only a few seconds, so he wouldn't really waste any time if he did so. Yet all he did was a little blushing, stayed quiet and said "I need to go now." Yes, from what we've seen so far, we always know who he really loves, so there's no question about that. But still...
I think b0nyb0y's points answer your and Whitemoon's address of the "total lack of communication".

Shin isn't even dropping "subtle hints." Like he said absolutely nothing to Hiromi before running off to find Noe at the end of episode 12. Sure that can easily be chalked up in many ways, but at this point it just looks like the writers sacrificing realism for more drama. I'm not buying that small ambiguous hints are a substitute for subtle hints that imply choices.

You continue to take the extreme view of what we expect. We expect subtle hints, not a broad answering of all the questions. No one is expecting Shin to "speak his mind" to Hiromi before running off to Noe at the end of 12. We want a small degree of answers to Noe and Hiromi at various points, not him keeping everything close to vest for no other reason than to drive up the drama. If he made his choice at the dance then certainly we should be fair in expecting him to drop a hint to Hiromi as he runs to Noe.

Shin should be dropping the subtle hints to let people know what's going on at the end of episode 12..., that's the point we've been trying to make.