Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru
View Single Post
Old 2012-02-22, 10:03   Link #1165
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
Also, this is something I have been wondering about this week. Is it in Japan a sign of love interest, when you give your number to the opposite sex? I thought that friends can exchange phone numbers just fine?
I mean, it is not just the latest Chihayafuru episode suggesting that giving your phone number to the opposite sex is the same as having love interest. In the last "another" episode Mei has given her number to Kouichi and it seemed like a bigger deal to me then a simple keitai number exchange should be.
Not necessarily. Asking a girl her number or giving her your number out of the blue would indeed be tactless but sharing numbers with close friends isn't that big a deal.

Arata was just being incredibly considerate. And that's something to like about his character - he is levelheaded and considerate. Remember how he didn't hold it against Taichi for stealing his glasses as a kid? That takes a big heart. Taichi is the most interesting character in the show, no doubt, but Arata isn't 2D at all. And the show hasn't portrayed him as infallible either - he gave up on Karata and was lame enough to turn his hate on his friends who made a long trip to come visit him out of sincere care. He is also someone who is growing. And him being considerate for Taichi is part of it.

And it only seemed like a bigger deal than a simple cell number exchange should be in "Another" because Mei had said earlier that she dislikes cell phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
IMO, it's definite that Arata has a romantic interest in Chihaya. I see no other way to read that scene and the discussion between Taichi and him.
Arata clearly stated his reason himself. He was being considerate for Taichi because he knows that Taichi is insecure about Arata when it comes to Chihaya and he thought they were already in a relationship. Whether he has a romantic interest in Chihaya is inconsequential as far as that scene goes. But the show always made it look like he had a degree of interest in her imo. From the childish fights with Taichi about whose fault it was that Chihaya was crying when they announced their respective departures to Taichi's solemn remark about how he understands why Arata would send Chihaya's birthday wish to him instead ("We both see Chihaya as belonging to both of us." ).

Of course, shippers are free to interpret it however. As far as my wishful thinking goes, I wish Arata would notice that neighborhood girl instead. Yuu-chan, was it? She was incredibly dedicated to him during his lamest years.