View Single Post
Old 2010-10-04, 18:12   Link #17869
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeckledorf View Post
History before the game never changes. So, anything a piece knew before a game is what that piece will know before every game.
It's impossible that no informational inputs change. Otherwise every game would be the same. You're also making the assumption that the starting conditions for every game are the same, but if they were it would not be necessary to append "this applies to all games" to certain information. Which isn't to say they are not all set up with the same conditions, but I don't think you can back the claim with anything more than preferential supposition, particularly if the characters can know only so much as the author thinks they know. Even if Author Theory is not true, it's flawed to suppose that the games have absolutely identical inputs, as at the very least people's inclinations to do or not do certain things seem largely uncaused by preceding alterable or unalterable events. And saying something like Erika's appearance is not caused by an aberrant outside influence is disingenuous just because it happens "after the game has started." It is clearly an altered input, and Lambdadelta treats it as such.

But let's compromise, because I don't actually disagree with you: I think all the adults come into the scenario suspicious that Kinzo may in fact be dead. They remain this way until pushed either toward or away from their suspicions. If anyone suggests Kinzo is dead, everyone begins to think about it harder. If no one does prior to the murders, people's minds are less sharp from the shock and being told "Father said he's staying in his study" is more likely to be accepted. Likewise, the appearance of Kinzo's body causes them to jump to the conclusion that he was alive until very recently. Thus if an author wishes to raise the issue of Kinzo's death, he or she must do so before the plot kicks in. It's quite unusual for a case like ep5 to continue the matter, though given the objectives of the characters (and the author?), it makes some sense that they would continue to dwell on it.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote