View Single Post
Old 2013-02-28, 23:54   Link #491
monsta666

It is unlikely the US would attack Iran as the consequences would be too great. The US could defeat Iran but I don't think they could do it fast enough to stop the Iranians causing mayhem in the Strait of Hormuz and bombing several critical oil pipelines/refineries in the surrounding region. That would be their "nuke" if things got really out of hand.

I would say that it is likely that the Iranian's will get their nuke; they are just doing it the painful way. I do wonder though whether these sanctions placed on Iran could work in their long-term interest in the future as it forces them to "conserve" their remaining oil reserves. Once US allies such as Saudi Arabia pass their peak in oil production (it is likely they have already peaked in net exports) then the game and shift in power will change in the region. You can't really talk about Middle-East politics and the US without speaking about the elephant in the room that is oil. Let's not kid ourselves that the US has many bases installed in that region to protect everyone's freedom. If that were the case the whole of Africa would be littered with US military bases.