View Single Post
Old 2011-10-17, 17:04   Link #25122
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Well, he can always suggest this scene or that scene doesn't seem to work right, but then all Ryukishi has to say is "Well it makes sense in the grand scheme of things, so we can't change this or that aspect of the scene." And if the guy doesn't know all the details, how is he going to argue?

It doesn't really sit right to me. When I ask someone to edit my works I pretty much pour out all the background details ASAP so they know exactly what everything is founded upon.
Exactly. At best he can play the role of 'first reader'. In short, by his own impressions and thoughts Ryukishi can vaguely check how the story would be understood by readers (vaguely because 1 person can't really represent that many readers).
However maybe having an editor that doesn't know where your story is heading is common in the Japanese world? Especially considering Umineko is a multipart story those plot ended up being changed on the way? (okay, so maybe it was just Land being removed in favour of Banquet... still I think this could have affected the hints given and therefore the readers understanding of the plot...)
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote