View Single Post
Old 2010-06-10, 11:21   Link #2050
Cherry_Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
I never said she should be accountable for her actions
I never claimed you did. It was just an incidental point.

Quote:
I just meant that Shirou is lucky there wasn't more permament mental damage from the incident.
I'm still not entirely sure what you're talking about. Do you mean mental damage to him as a result of using Archer's arm?

Quote:
I agree at that point it didn't really matter either way. My whole problem is when he made the choice the second time not to kill her.
Well, perhaps, although that wasn't so much a decision not to kill her as alack of willingness to stab the person you live in the heart, which is kind of understandable, really.... Not to mention that, if you go through with it, you just get yourself killed, which likely would result in Sakura going Dark without any way of stopping her.

Quote:
That was the point Kotomine was making is that Shirou couldn't know for sure and was only going on his gut feelings and was judging Avenger(or AM if you will) on future actions.
Well, yes, that is indeed the point. I guess the problem is that, whilst what he's saying sounds utterly absurd (because what Sakura is birthing is the incarnation of all evil), he is right that judging AM before he has a chance to live is unfair.

Quote:
Again I'm talking about the second choice when you're about to stab Sakura in bed and Shirou backs off. At that point he did know Sakura was the shadow and there was a very good chance she could hurt many more people.
Well, yes, that is the point where he truly realises that he simply wants to save Sakura, no matter what. He wants to save the world too, of course, but by then he has realised that his love for Sakura comes first.

Quote:
Also would like to respond a bit to your claim that most superheroes would end up like Kiritsugu. That I would actually doubt and feel that it would be more similar to UBW in that they would question if they want to be a superhero(although different for obvious reasons mostly due to Shirou's ideal is not being a superhero) and afterwards understand the negatives and still choose to move forward. Many superheros stop being their alternate identity due to stress on their personal lives for a time being (obvious case being Peter Parker) but almost always decide to continue fully knowing the detriment it will have on their lives.
They would end up like Kiritsugu if they were forced to make decisions like MoS Shirou does, because the human mind simply isn't capable of caring equally about every person in the world unless you think of people as abstract entities, which precludes any true emotional attachments.

There's a difference between being unable to save a loved one and actively making a decision to kill that loved one when they perhaps could have been saved. HF Shirou didn't think Sakura was unsalvageable, so killing her would break him. I can't think of any superhero who has been forced into a situation where they are forced to kill someone they love in cold blood when they were clearly not an immediate danger to anyone.
Cherry_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote