View Single Post
Old 2012-07-22, 21:23   Link #123
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I don't know... back when I was a teenager, it didn't take too much for me to get angsty, particularly when it involved girls I liked. To that point, note that in his little flashback sequence, he tied his loss of his wings to the relationships he had with all the girls in his life. When he got mad at Taku, it was all about Chiyu and Kuroyukihime. Basically, he saw his success in the Accelerated World as being his only chance with the ladies, because his poor self-esteem causes him to believe that the girls only like him because of his "skills". This isn't true, but you have to think from his perspective that the series of events do seem to be correlated to some degree.

So I don't know... "poor writing"? I guess I don't really understand what you mean by the plot developments not being fully believable (makes sense to me, given the age and context of the characters), but even setting that aside, I think the characterization that resulted seems quite reasonable to me. Was I the only angsty teen with self-esteem issues growing up?

I probably should've linked that to my previous post but when I was talking about contrived plot developments, I wasn't talking about Haru's characterisation in any way. I was talking about the numeruous plot holes that occured when Haru confronted Noumi. Like how he simply didn't bother telling Taku about the letter, even when he right next to him. Like how Noumi's blackmailing plan seems so flimsy and forced. Like how Haru just stopped beating up Noumi so he could some fancy finishing he didn't even need to do.

His actual characterisation is fine. It's the plot development that it rests on that's the problem.