Thread: Licensed Tari Tari
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-21, 00:49   Link #32
Vena
Carpe Diem

I'm not sure that I understand the Mari Okada *dislike* floating around. Yes, she is a peculiar character with a flare for the *dramatic* and the *drama* in her writing (and some fetishes or what not) but that shouldn't be a detractor from the fact that she makes for a compelling writer. Anime original episodes that she composes tend to be of very good quality. Many of the weaknesses in the shows that she's in part written weren't (usually) stirred up during her episodes... as such the issues and faults would more properly be laid upon the person directing and the other writers (and I guess the fact that shows don't seem to have one writer any more).

This seems to be a general problem with many PA works... too many writers and a, possibly, incapable director behind all of it to keep the writers/plot in line and in shape. There's always been a tendency in their works to have schizophrenic quality per episode (character, thematics, moods, fluidity, pacing... relevance and impact); Angel Beats being a good recent example of a great story mired in poor direction and unnecessary constraints.

But I'm not part of the business... so what do I know?