View Single Post
Old 2013-01-10, 20:55   Link #336
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibits View Post
I'm not going to lie I do like Hinata a lot, but I only bring her up because of this current chapter. Another example would Shinkamaru. He hasn't fought much but still is quite likeable, he got great growth with the death of Asuma, taking on being a good role model for Asuma's kid, cheering up Naruto after Jiraiya's death etc. yet another protrayal of development without fighting. My point was I think your thesis "you need to fight to stay relevant" is incorrect. Hinata and Shinkamaru are just examples of how it can be done.
Are you kidding? Out of all the rookies Shikamaru is the one with the most fight and expositions. His entire growth happened around his battle against Hidan and Kakuzu. Remove those and he's still the guy from part 1, the guy we got to know in the first place because of his fight against Kin, Temari and the Sound nin.
I'm not saying that fighting is all there is to character development in this kind of series but in order to have character growth you need the spotlight and for that you need fight scenes 95% of the time.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote