View Single Post
Old 2013-01-13, 04:22   Link #36
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Write View Post
-Bringing up you're modship while presenting your personal opinion of another user-

Ad Hominems filled your post before this one; maybe things aren't as personal as you may think. Just a thought.
It's a topic that is precisely about the way some people choose to state their opinions about entertainment. Yes, other people and the way they state their opinion is the topic. As a mod, this impacts me because I have to often act, since such behaviour either is or can result in posts that are against the Forum Rules and corrosive to on-going constructive conversation (which is often contrary to the intention of the original poster). But I don't like stepping into debates, because I want people to have good conversations about their points of view and disagreements. If we can all understand where each other is coming from, then we may be able to reduce some of the anger that results from misunderstandings about people's intentions as conveyed in the tone of their writing.

But anyway, I don't really see how this isn't also "ad hominem". You've made a number of comments that are specifically about me here, rather than addressing the overall points about tone and the presentation of opinion (though you have made some posts about that too). So if this is going to be a game of pot and kettle, well, I guess we're both black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
There's no difference between "this show is crap" and "In my opinion this show is crap."
Well, yes, this much is certain. You can't just add "in my opinion" as if it's some sort of tack-on that makes everything okay. This is like people who say something really dismissive and then add "no offence". Oh really? It's more than just adding a few words here and there, obviously. As you say, it's the language and phrasing used overall that conveys the tone.