View Single Post
Old 2009-01-29, 19:22   Link #18115
Xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostfire View Post
It feels like they completely forgot/deleted her father's existance. From my understanding, the original R2 would have had him confronting Kallen while she was captured and turning her against Lelouch. There would have likely been a lot going on there and it would likely have explained what she felt about her father. We know from S1 that she did not "love" him as much as her mother, so it could be that in R2 he would have used her mother against her. Ultimately probably being killed or left behind by Kallen for her mother in a more logical progression. In our R2... he's just not there.
I think a lot of people, including me, were expecting something like that to happen...but I don't know if it's fair to take the idea for granted just because it matches our expectations. For example, would Kallen have been captured in the "original R2" and if so, would her father be in a position to make an appearance?

Don't misunderstand, I would have liked to see something like that too,...but by now I don't think it was completely and absolutely necessary for her father to show up.

Season one didn't really focus on his existence, outside of being mentioned a couple of times, and it is questionable whether the story would have demanded his presence. He was already treated as an absent father, not someone who was on top of things. Maybe he would have assumed a larger role, maybe not. I imagine that Kallen's background could have received more attention, but this could still be done without making her father an important character who had to show up on-screen. It would have been nice though.

As for why Kallen isn't living in a mansion at the end of R2...well, it's not unheard of for young adults to want more independence. Kallen isn't pretending to be weak at school now...and in fact, she seems to be taking care of her mother too. I can't really imagine that Kallen's evil stepmother would want to have someone convicted for Refrain offenses around the main house, much less someone who she doesn't even like. What happened to her father then? I don't know, but then again we never knew much about him to begin with.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote