View Single Post
Old 2009-01-29, 19:34   Link #18116
Frostfire
No Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
I think a lot of people, including me, were expecting something like that to happen...but I don't know if it's fair to take the idea for granted just because it matches our expectations. For example, would Kallen have been captured in the "original R2" and if so, would her father be in a position to make an appearance?

Don't misunderstand, I would have liked to see something like that too,...but by now I don't think it was completely and absolutely necessary for her father to show up.
I am pretty sure that the "change sides because of father" idea was a concept in the original script but was scrapped because it did not work with R2 (probably due to the entirely pointless KoR). If anything, what I could have seen happen, was Kallen becoming Lelouch's enemy(and aside from Suzaku only enemy) and forcing him to get her back. But with the introduction of the KoR and the changes in R2, she just ended up sitting around for 8 episodes.

Her father's role can be easily justified by whatever his work is, he could have been a KoR for example. If he appears in front of Kallen, instead of her sitting around for 8 episodes we could have had her have to fight against her will. It could have brought about more development for her, her father, and even Lelouch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
Season one didn't really focus on his existence, outside of being mentioned a couple of times, and it is questionable whether the story would have demanded his presence. He was already treated as an absent father, not someone who was on top of things. Maybe he would have assumed a larger role, maybe not. I imagine that Kallen's background could have received more attention, but this could still be done without making her father an important character who had to show up on-screen. It would have been nice though.
The story, really, did not require him, you are right. He was simply something that could have been used to some end. Few characters are really required in the story, Kallen's mother did not have to appear it could have been made clear in comments what she was fighting for. (A crude example.) He simply could have added another element to a time where Kallen did nothing but sit around and think about Lelouch. (Could have given a little more reason to the Nunally/Kallen talks, and her conflict with everything. Development under duress would have been interesting to see for her character.)
Frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote