View Single Post
Old 2017-11-05, 21:12   Link #1336
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
You guys were so busy blaming each other that you forgot to come up with actual ideas for a solution. It has been almost a full year since Trump got inaugurated and goddamn Bernie and Hillary supporters are STILL arguing which side to blame. Keep it up and by the time you finally sit together to discuss actual steps Trump will be on the doorstep of ruining the US for another four years.
I honestly am not sure what the solution is. The two main problems of 2016 were Russia and the media echosphere to me. What can Democrats do when the mainstream media continues to play false equivalency between the sides for the sake of some false balance, and we have a vast rightwing propaganda network attacking us (Mercers, Drudge, Breibart, Fox News, Sinclaire Broadcast Network)? Yes, Hillary made a mistake with the email server, but the media just kept running with this BS controversy to the bitter end and eroded trust with the public. If Comey didn't drop that bombshell at the end with the NY Times in lock step covering it as front page news, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. We would be foolish to believe that any other Democratic candidate will not encounter the same exact challenges going forward even if they don't have all of the Clinton baggage.

I'm a big fan of the Pod Save America Podcast (formally known as Keeping it 1600 with the Obama alumns), and their answer seems to be to build a media empire for the left to counter the right wing media because mainstream media really isn't liberal or helping us out at all. So far it looks like they're doing a great job at galvanizing the left but we'll see.

As for the Russia stuff, that will come down to the Mueller investigation and Republican agenda perhaps failing under the complete incompetency of the Trump administration. I'm not sure what the answer is to russian bots on twitter/facebook stirring up fake news and events that escalate conflict with the population.