View Single Post
Old 2011-01-22, 05:28   Link #21642
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

After finishing EP8, I was keeping thinking about one thing. At first Ange’s determined to find the truth, she said she would accept it no matter how harsh it is. She had already prepared herself for the worst case, that maybe Rudolf and Kyrie were the culprit. But in the end she's still crushed by it. Why? To Ange, what can be worse than the fact her parents are murderers?

That's why I think Battler is the culprit. The following is my theory.

If you ask me why and how he did it, the answer is I don't know, and we'll never know. Almost everything was written by Battler and he's never portrayed himself as a murderer. "Battler-kun is not the culprit. Battler-kun didn’t kill anyone. This can be said of all games." That's it, Battler/Character is always the good guy in the novels Battler/Writer wrote.

When he’s living in Ikuko’s house, he knew about Rokkenjima. He felt that there’s a connection between him and that incident. That’s why he tried to solve the mystery, hoping that he’ll regain his lost memory by doing it, and he wrote those novels in the process. That’s what the games are, they describe Battler’s journey to find his past. Those novels, those games reflect his mind and by analyzing them we can know his progress.

EP1 and EP2 are different from the rest. They are the only games where the murders followed the epitaph properly and everyone died in the end. It’s because these two were not written by Battler.

EP3 is Battler’s first novel, and it’s based on reality, i.e the fact that Eva survived the incident. Just like Ange and everyone else, Battler suspected that she was the culprit. He wrote the novel with that thought in mind, that’s why in this novel the hints and clues pointing to Eva are so many.

In EP4, the murders were poorly prepared compared to the previous games, there’s absolutely no closed room. It’s a sign that Battler began to regain his memory. He remembered that the killing in reality was very chaotic, it didn’t follow the epitaph at all like what was described in those two bottles.

One more thing is in EP4, we’re told about Battler’s sin. While it was deemed so important in EP4, it seemed to be forgotten in the next novels. I think the sin itself is unimportant, the fact that it’s mentioned in EP4 is important. As I said above, the story reflects Battler’s mind. The fact that the sin was heavily emphasized in EP4 means that Battler’s obsessed by an idea of “a sin in the past” when writing it. So at this point, he realized that he had done something very terrible but he couldn’t recall what it was.

In EP5, Battler began to doubt. For the first time, he asked whether it’s him who killed everyone, and Virgillia comforted him with the Red Truth above. In reality, it’s Battler comforting himself. But in the end of EP5, he remembered everything, i.e reached the truth. He learned that he was the culprit, that’s why he wanted to create more illusion, he wanted to hide the truth forever.

EP6 is infamous for one thing, the Logic Error. In reality, it means that Battler wrote an illogical story. What? He did fine before he knew the truth, and he screwed up after knowing it? The answer is simple: The truth made him panicked, he tried so hard to hide it, that’s why he made mistakes. One important detail in the story was changed: Battler/Character, who always survived to the end now died in the first Twilight. Isn’t this what he’s trying to say: Battler was killed so he couldn’t be the culprit?

I think EP7 was mainly written by Ikuko. It showed her theory, and her conclusion that Rudolf and Kyrie were the culprits.

EP8 is Battler’s final effort to hide the truth. It’s about how he’s trying to prevent Eva’s diary from being publicized, and in the end he managed to persuade Ikuko.