View Single Post
Old 2011-11-22, 15:48   Link #11
cyth
Banned

Let's not kid ourselves here--people who banter over moe without fully understanding its many iterations and definitions may still be legitimately disenfranchised, but the fact of the matter is those people are on their way out of this hobby. This almost always happens when an otaku gets a life. Exit, stage right.

But to answer the opening post, I'll start off with this lovely link that basically illustrates the situation.

Over 5,800 Smelly Otaku Trying to Make It Big Writing Young Adult Novels
Quote:
ASCII.jp: 5862 Entries Competed in the 18th Dengeki Novel Prize Competition, The Most Yet!
This year, over 5,800 entries were submitted to Dengeki, a rise of several hundred from the previous all-time record, last year’s 5,400.
Case in point: Stories are now being written by fans of fans of fans of actual authors, who simply lack outside perspective. And the publishing industry is going along with it, because they too are fans, working as their editors! I was excited by the prospect of works such as Hasekura's Spice & Wolf, but that was just an exception. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu is worthless in today's light novel playing field.

So that's one large part of anime today. The other are original anime stories. Some have had success, but the original anime route is admittedly a last resort of sorts, because the industry is running out of GOOD stories to adapt. Think back a few paragraphs.... 5800 FUCKING ENTRIES FOR A SINGLE CONTEST. And none of them were good enough to take the place of a future light novel adaptation that looks like the next Seitokai no Ichizon? (not to say Seizon was any good)

Who's to blame? Certainly not moe anime, as they're just an expression of Japanese society. So basically it comes down to whether or not you have the patience to wait for the next Madoka to come by and weather through those 5800 seedy novels that will eventually all be made into anime (because Japan is on the brink of creative bankruptcy). This has always been the case for anime, I'm afraid.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote