View Single Post
Old 2006-01-02, 06:13   Link #118
Kurama no Miko2003
Twirly! Twirly~!!

Location: Wherever my favorite guy in the whole wide world is
Send a message via AIM to Kurama no Miko2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Eclipse
In the end the world that Gil invisioned would be peaceful, organized, happy. The world that Kira has created will be filled with anger, hate, suffering and needless death. In government and society we all give up out freedoms for the security, peace and order to life. Absolute freedom only brings about chaos and death. Gil's solution is what all societies even in reality strive for. Function and harmony.
While Dullindal's world would've been peaceful, organized, and happy, it would've left people without the ability to choose and decide for themselves. Dullindal's world is centered around people having a specific role based on their genes. (I imagine it being something like the world described in the movie, Gattaca. Your genes decide everything, from your job straight down to your social rank.)

Lacus and Kira, on the other hand, want to prevent that. They feel that people should be free to choose and make decisions as they see fit. (I assume that "within the boundaries of law" does not need to be written, or at least, I assume that's part of their ideal. If not, those two are too naive to be holding that much military and politcal power.) The world that Lacus and Kira envision would be one where someone can decide to be a teacher even if his genes dictate that he can't be one. (Say, if he's got a gene that makes him prone to anger easier. Or maybe some other gene that would hamper his people skills.) But there is one flaw within their ideal, in that it calls for everyone, Naturals and Coordinators alike to actually cooperate and tolerate each other. And given that the war started because Naturals and Coordinators couldn't get along . . .

And I'd say that Dullindal's solution isn't really what all societies in reality strive for. Dullindal's solution is actually one where the government makes the decisions for everyone and tells them what to do. Opposition is crushed and killed off. Sounds an awful lot like the Communist Chinese government. Few rights for people, those who express unfavorable comments towards the government "mysteriously disappear" or are thrown in prison. Or even the "Big Brother" government written about in George Orwell's 1984. In stark contrast, the US government allows you more freedom, if, for nothing else, you can say what you want, choose your own career, and if you break the law, you pay the consequences. And, in theory, anyway, you're happier because you made the choice to do what you want to get where you are. Whether you are in reality, well, I'll leave that for people to think about.

~ Kurama no Miko2003
Kurama no Miko2003 is offline   Reply With Quote