View Single Post
Old 2009-06-22, 16:03   Link #401
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Location: A land far, far away... or very, very close, depends on where you live
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncreativex View Post
I'll check out AIKI and Veritas, but I read the first 50 or so chapters of Akumetsu and didn't like it much.
Happy that you at least give things a chance, much respect. Let me know how it goes okay?

Quote:
In terms of size and shape the Claymore swords aren't too out there, they're closer to large Zweihanders (German great swords) than (Irish) Claymores though. The thing is that they're supposed to weigh more than a normal human can use efficiently and are made of an insanely tough steel (later explained to be from somewhere far away from the setting), but the fact that Claymores are clearly described to be super human makes it okay. At first I though it was a Mark Twain thing, but since there are normal swords involved for human characters...

That reminds me, has there been any explaination why people can fall like a hundred feet with little damage or how even loads of marines can take thousands of push-ups in this series?
Explaination huh? Well, there in lies a problem...

When you combine an "epic shounen" series with an author like Eiichiro Oda, expect things to be very drawn out. Oda's a pretty patient guy seeing as he can introduce something in the first chapter of a series and not explain it until the halfway point, nearly 500 chapters later.

You said that it was believable for Clare and her fellow Claymores to wield their BFS's because they are clearly described as superhuman. I can say the same for Mihawk, but the fact would still remain that I have no proof or explaination of this (aside from the obvious display during his first appearance) because Oda is simply with-holding that information. It is implied that Mihawk uses some kind of Haki just as it was originally implied by Kreig that he might imploy the powers of a Devil Fruit (and since I've yet to see Mihawk swim/submerged in water both are still equally valid views). Until Oda gives validation, this is all merely speculation.

And then of course there is the fact that Oda has some ideals that he sees no need to explain.
Why are even normal people so resillient in One Piece? Perhaps it is because they are technically not "average" humans but a higher-order with much more endurance than the typical earthling.
Oda's explaination: That's just his style, take it as standard for his world.

And of course there's also this...
Fan: "How does Sanji not burn himself when he uses Diable Jambe?"
Oda: "It is because his heart burns brighter even brighter."

One Piece is far from finished and you can be that Oda plans to milk as much of that time out of it as he can. Yeah, he's a little abusive to his readers... but I suppose I can respect that.
BlackNhite is offline   Reply With Quote