View Single Post
Old 2012-02-13, 21:23   Link #641
Ray
Garnet

I'm really impressed with your ability to draw in such a realistic manner. The anatomy in your drawings is spot on. How long did Hijikata Toushiro portrait take you? It's seriously good. The difference in quality between this, and your previous fanarts is pretty massive. The hair seems to be letting you down a bit. The eyes also seem to be missing eyelashes. If you want me to, I could link you to one of my favorite hair tutorials on dA. I'd recommend doing more of portraits such as this, until you feel comfortable with drawing anime characters in this style. Only then should you begin to mix in some slightly surreal aspects. I've seen enough art and art styles to say that many great artists started off with a style similar to the one you used to draw this image. It may not look as appealing as your Fassbender portrait, but that's because you're trying to develop something new. It'll take a while, but after some time, you'll discover that you have a certain style. Most, if not all, people do. It's just a matter of practice.

One surreal aspect can be the design of the eyes. The eyes are vital in setting the mood and portraying a character's emotion; they are essentially the mirrors of the soul. Since the style you're developing relies on realism to some extent, you can't draw massive eyes that take up over 1/3 of the face. You could, however, increase the size of the eyes just a tiny bit, add more vibrant colours, and perhaps some details in order to make them 'pop' a little. This is definitely something easier to show rather than explain.

I'm loving the Galileo fanart so far. The pose is great, and the scarf gives the picture a sense of flow. I really like the eyes, too. Looking forward to seeing you post the finished version ~

Alright, hopefully that wasn't too harsh, and I hope you got something out of reading this.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote