View Single Post
Old 2012-11-17, 05:41   Link #37
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Honestly, I never got the vibe of "casual sex" from this episode.

Quite the contrary - Shun/Satoru and Saki/Maria seemed to be presented as pretty serious romances to me. The mere fact that they're gay doesn't change that. If the pairings were Shun/Saki and Satoru/Maria, it wouldn't seem significantly different from basic high school romances that you can find in all sorts of shows.

If the vibe that this episode is supposed to give off is "this is a society that encourages casual sex" then why is Satoru the only major character shown to have had more than one romantic/sexual partner? And even that was likely only because Shun dumped him.

Now, given that seemingly every student (except Mamoru) has been paired off with someone else, it's clear that this society encourages romantic/sexual couplings at a very young age. But this feels more like some school overflowing with Romeo-style love than a school of one night stands, imo.

That being the case, I'm not sure why Shun and Saki aren't acting on their obvious feelings for one another. Are they afraid that them being consistently monogamous with one another will raise eyebrows? Are they afraid that "the real thing" (romance-wise) might draw the attention of the teachers? While I can kind of see how Maria might be just playing around (her voice was a bit flat when she said "We'll be together forever, Saki"), I get the sense that Satoru was pretty serious in his bond with Shun.

Anyway, just throwing some ideas out there.

As for the animation quality... I'm not sure if it's the animation quality, or just the basic artwork itself, but something did seem a bit off visually in this episode. Shun's confrontation with the world's most powerful PKer was certainly interesting. As was all of the dark and ominous vibes surrounding him now.