View Single Post
Old 2007-08-30, 22:41   Link #9
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutralizer View Post
specifications != performance? Personally, I think the bigger difference in what makes gundams seem godly is that the pilots behind them are just so much better than the average pilot.
Yup. That's pretty much it. In the Cosmic Era shows, the Gundams weren't that much more capable than the line units in terms of acceleration and protection (with the exception of Phase Shift Armor). While they were generally greatly superior in firepower, this difference wouldn't make too much difference outside of combined arms battles. However, the portrayal of the mobile suit combat doesn't reflect this relative parity at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperlion View Post
I agree with you that now Gundam doesn't even need any military tactic now it became one MS > few hundred MS. Grunts really seems useless now, back in UC and somewhat in X and I guess Turn A, they did make some difference now all they do is get owned and yelling some Gundam that are about to own them.
That isn't really true at all. Numbers weren't exactly meaningful in many combats in Zeta or ZZ or Char's Counterattack. They made a (very tiny) difference in Mobile Suit Gundam and Victory, but that's about it for the main UC works. Likewise, superior Gundams weren't entirely capable of standing against overwhelming numbers in parts of Gundam X, but that's true for Seed as well. Turn A is sort of an oddball wherein the logic of combat doesn't really apply.