View Single Post
Old 2012-09-08, 06:34   Link #1055
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Huh, that's definitely a first for me. I went the entire episode actually focused on the story and without wishing that the show would end early.

I'm glad that they're finally putting focus on the financial aid students since that's where the biggest potential lies imo. But they're still irritatingly skimpy on the details. When Oojima decided to add it to his manifesto why didn't they talk about how that is affected by Satsuki's manifesto which they know includes financial aid students too? The way the story tries to swerve round issues like that so they can leave it for later feels way too forced. A good chance to finally clear things up too.
I'm not entirely sure that they're just "leaving it for later". It could just be that these details aren't terribly important within the narrative itself.

There's kind of two sides to politics. And I think we've allowed how Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate is excellent at portraying one side of it to maybe raise our expectations too much when it comes to how good Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate will be at portraying the other side of it.

The two sides of politics is actual political policy (which I take from your words to mean that you'd like to see more of), and what's sometimes called "the politics of politics".

Political policy is mainly about governing, and how you intend to run things once elected, and/or if you're already in government.

The politics of politics is about election campaigns, and the strategy and tactics that go into winning elections and maintaining an edge over your political opponents both in campaigns and outside of them (i.e. while just governing).

This anime has been very good at portraying the politics of politics. We see all the fundraising, all the campaigning, all the tactics, all the long-term political strategizing, all the media interactions - We see much of the best and some of the worst of what political campaigns tend to entail. Mind you, it's at a much smaller level than something like running for Head of State of a country, but it's still a pretty accurate depiction of what "the politics of politics" is like.

Heck, as much as Chisato annoyed me at times this episode, I did have to wryly grin over one very telling piece of advice she gave Oojima - "Don't run on this idea of yours, since it's not popular! Just do it anyway once you get elected!" That so reflects modern politics, and how cynical it frequently can be.

But even as good as this anime has been at portraying the politics of politics, it has indeed skimped out on its portrayal of political policy. But really, I think this is a case where we probably need to remember that this is first and foremost an eroge adaptation. While its overarching election plot is obviously important, it's also largely a vehicle for believably putting Oojima in various relationships with other girls aiding the romance side of things (it's actually rather ingenious, as this election plot manages to get Oojima around the old harem anime complaint of "How is this male lead managing to attract so many girls?!").

It's certainly possible that this anime will yet delve more substantively into political policy, but given how deep we are into this anime and how the romance side of things is far from resolved, I wouldn't get my expectations up too high there.