Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru
View Single Post
Old 2012-01-06, 23:20   Link #821
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
While there are a variety of good explanations (some in-canon, some meta-level) for why Chihaya fainted during her match in Episode 13, I hope that this sort of thing doesn't become routine for her. I say this with the thought in mind of how morale-boosting cheers and/or pep talks from Taichi and Tsutomu were already necessary to get her through other matches.

I mean, if Chihaya keeps having these sorts of "folding under the pressure" moments where she just kind of phases out, it'll make her seem a bit like what pro sports fans call "chokers". That's not really the characterization I personally want to see in the lead of a sports anime.

It's fine for Chihaya to have a moment or two like this, but I honestly hope the next time we see Chihaya play karuta, she keeps her wits/faculties about her, and she wins due to the strength of her own playing skill and personal ambitions.

Still, the Arata moments in this latest episode were absolutely great. Excellent personal and family drama there. I really hope we see more of Arata going forward.

On the whole, I'll give Chihayafuru Episode 13 a 8/10. A nice way to kick the show back off after a short break.